bloggart.

Nk.
Philippines
and she is? watching you. lulz.
still want to know?

stuff.


  • Currently obsessed about: THE BEACH, THE BEACH!!!
  • Currently loving : photography and play time
  • Currently singing to : Meiko's Boys With Girlfriends
  • Currently reading : Michael Crichton's Next
  • next in line : Dork Whore
  • Currently craving : 1. a vacation somewhere where there's sand, sea, and shore. 2. that sinful, orgasm-inducing chocolate cake from Cyma 3. a DVD copy of Ang Lee's 1997 film, The Ice Storm 4. YOU.
  • currently advocating: come on, do something guys! Save The Elephants

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called memory stream. Make your own badge here.

talk to me.

Word.

“If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?”~Gloria Steinem

exit.
had enough (of me)? here's the way out.
major thoroughfares.
familiar places (people i know).
delightful back alleys.
random finds.

Don't hold your love over my head ~ Come Back To Bed (john mayer)

credits

banner: image not author's own, tweaked picture found in google. layout: tweaked blogskin by inksplash. labor: my cousin val. everything else: me.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Add to My Yahoo!

Support WWF

ripple Give Money Give Education Give Food Give Water

August 30, 2009
posted by Nk. at 11:55 PM

Here's the thing: I don't like sci-fi movies.

Next only to horror movies and corny Tagalog films that star the likes of Jinggoy Estrada, I steer clear of this film genre. I guess creatures that resemble supersized insects and have gunk dripping all over them (hello there Alien), giant snakes (hello there Anaconda), man-eating zombies (hello there Night of the Living Dead), and evil, psychotic slashers who obtain joy from dismembering teenagers (hello, Freddie Krueger) aren't my thing. There are a few exceptions tho, like Carrie, TV's The Andromeda Strain and FRINGE, and Independence Day *don't judge me!*-- but I digress.

But I watched District 9 today and surprise, surprise-- IT WAS AWESOME.

I wasn't expecting District 9 to be the kind of movie that it was. I was bracing myself for lots of senseless dismemberment and gore all over the place, the kind that won't let me sleep for days after I've seen the movie. Instead the film turned out to be, I daresay, a thought-provoking experience. Sure there were still graphic scenes but it wasn't all just that. What I really liked was how District 9 almost accurately painted the kind of scenario that could happen when and should aliens and humans be forced to cohabitate on earth-- and the humanity, or inhumanity of mankind's reaction to it.

So awesome was it that I found myself rooting for Christopher (the "prawn") and his son, and almost tearing up at the last scenes involving the main protagonist, Wikus (yep, that sound you hear is the sound of aliens going "aawwwwww".

So yeah, go watch District 9, folks. But if you're looking for a movie that'll scare the shit out of you and leave your brain on temporary paralysis--this is not your type of movie. Because this movie will NOT make you braindead.



* I had difficulty with dinner after the movie tho-- I couldn't eat the meatballs without thinking of the alien uhmm...limb. ='/ Sort of like the time I watched Finding Nemo? When I couldn't eat fish without thinking that his parents might be looking for him?

Labels: , , ,

 
0 Comments: