bloggart.

Nk.
Philippines
and she is? watching you. lulz.
still want to know?

stuff.


  • Currently obsessed about: THE BEACH, THE BEACH!!!
  • Currently loving : photography and play time
  • Currently singing to : Meiko's Boys With Girlfriends
  • Currently reading : Michael Crichton's Next
  • next in line : Dork Whore
  • Currently craving : 1. a vacation somewhere where there's sand, sea, and shore. 2. that sinful, orgasm-inducing chocolate cake from Cyma 3. a DVD copy of Ang Lee's 1997 film, The Ice Storm 4. YOU.
  • currently advocating: come on, do something guys! Save The Elephants

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing items in a set called memory stream. Make your own badge here.

talk to me.

Word.

“If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?”~Gloria Steinem

exit.
had enough (of me)? here's the way out.
major thoroughfares.
familiar places (people i know).
delightful back alleys.
random finds.

Don't hold your love over my head ~ Come Back To Bed (john mayer)

credits

banner: image not author's own, tweaked picture found in google. layout: tweaked blogskin by inksplash. labor: my cousin val. everything else: me.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Add to My Yahoo!

Support WWF

ripple Give Money Give Education Give Food Give Water

November 30, 2007
posted by Nk. at 10:15 PM

Today, exactly a year ago was one of the darkest days ever here in my hometown. Typhoon Reming brought Bicol to its knees, claiming hundreds of lives and laying to waste millions worth of properties. Our house still bears on its walls the marks of the flash flood that sent my parents, my sister and her boyfriend, and me evacuating to my aunt's neighboring two-story house -- and I can still remember how we struggled against the raging flood, wind, and rain to get to safer ground.

Reming was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had -- the first time that a flash flood ever occurred in the place I lived. I remember being so devastated that my pet dogs were left locked inside the house, fearing the moment that we go back to check on them and finding them dead amidst the soaked furniture and other personal belongings. My dad was able to go back for one of our two dogs later that day, but wasn't able to find the other. We all thought that Bambi had drowned in the flood (which was chest-high, by the way) -- but miracle of miracles, we found her atop the kitchen cabinet the next day, as happy to see us as we were to find her.

We spent the whole of December and half of January without electricity, running water in our homes, or internet connection. There were no Christmas and New Year parties, no gifts, no drinking until everyone was wasted and invoking all the saints. It was a long, sad December.

But a year later and Bicol has recovered. The streets are bright once again, the people are happy and smiling, and parties are being planned. We have overcome, and we are alive.


And yes my friends (I'm talking to you Edri, Jo, Cata, Bhok, Freddy, Mafe, Gracey, everyone!), it's back to getting wasted at my house to welcome the new year!

Labels: , ,

 
2 Comments:


At December 1, 2007 at 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

oh wow. yeah, i remember that. we were supposed to go to bicol but we had to cancel the trip.

 

At December 1, 2007 at 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

good thing there was no sequel this year. the typhoon veered away. hope you are feeling better! :)